ABH (NYSE, TSX)
MONTREAL, Jan. 17 /CNW Telbec/ - AbitibiBowater today announced the selection of a new Executive Team, reporting directly to Richard Garneau, President and Chief Executive Officer. This leadership transition includes a number of senior management changes, supporting the Company's execution of its business strategy.
"The Executive Team we have put in place represents an excellent blend of proven experience and fresh thinking. I look forward to working with the team to further improve AbitibiBowater's operational efficiencies and financial flexibility, while offering a broad mix of quality products to our customers globally," stated Richard Garneau. "We believe that with the support of all Company employees, we can deliver on our commitment to further reduce costs and enhance our competitiveness. Working as one team, we can respond to the reality of ongoing market challenges and ensure sustained profitability moving forward."
In addition to Richard Garneau, AbitibiBowater's Executive Team will be composed of:
- Alain Boivin, Senior Vice President, Pulp and Paper Operations. Mr. Boivin most recently was Vice President of Mill Operations, Central Region at Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation and will assume his new responsibilities at AbitibiBowater on March 7, 2011. This role will be managed on an interim basis by David A. Spraley, Senior Vice President, Pulp and Paper Manufacturing, Engineering and Quality. Mr. Boivin served as a Vice President at Smurfit-Stone since 2000. He previously was Senior Vice President, Containerboard Operations for St. Laurent Paperboard Inc. from 1999 to 2000. Prior to this, Mr. Boivin was Mill Manager at a number of operations for Donohue Inc. and Avenor Inc.
- Alain Grandmont, Senior Vice President, Human Resources and Public Affairs. Mr. Grandmont most recently served as Executive Vice President, Human Resources and Supply Chain for AbitibiBowater Inc. He was previously Senior Vice President, Commercial Printing Papers from October 2007 to July 2009. Mr. Grandmont served as Senior Vice President, Commercial Printing Papers of Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. from 2005 to October 2007 and as Senior Vice President, Value-Added Operations and Sales of Abitibi-Consolidated in 2004.
- William G. Harvey, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Mr. Harvey served most recently as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for AbitibiBowater Inc. He previously was Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company from October 2007 to July 2009. Mr. Harvey served as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Bowater Incorporated from August 2006 to October 2007, and as Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of Bowater from 2005 to 2006.
- John Lafave, Senior Vice President, Pulp and Paper Sales and Marketing. Mr. Lafave most recently served as Vice President Sales, National Accounts - Paper Sales for AbitibiBowater Inc. Prior to this, he was Vice President Sales, National Accounts - Newsprint for AbitibiBowater and Vice President Sales, Commercial Printers for Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. from 2004 to 2009. Mr. Lafave previously held progressive positions in sales with UPM-Kymmene and Repap Enterprises.
- Yves Laflamme, Senior Vice President, Wood Products, Global Supply Chain and Information Technology. Mr. Laflamme served most recently as Senior Vice President, Wood Products for AbitibiBowater Inc. He was previously Senior Vice President, Woodlands and Sawmills of Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. from 2006 to October 2007 and Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Value-Added Wood Products of Abitibi-Consolidated from 2004 to 2005.
- Jacques P. Vachon, Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer. Mr. Vachon most recently served as Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs and Chief Legal Officer for AbitibiBowater Inc. He previously was Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs and Secretary of Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. from 1997 to October 2007.
All appointments are effective immediately, with the exception of Mr. Boivin who will join AbitibiBowater in March. Also reporting directly to Mr. Garneau is William Kerr who will serve as Vice President, Internal Audit. Mr. Kerr also reports functionally to the Company's Audit Committee of the Board.
AbitibiBowater is a global leader in the forest products industry, producing a diverse range of products, including newsprint, commercial printing and packaging papers, market pulp and wood products. The Company owns or operates 18 pulp and paper mills and 24 wood products facilities located in the United States, Canada and South Korea. Marketing its products in more than 70 countries, AbitibiBowater is also among the largest recyclers of old newspapers and magazines in North America, and has third-party certified 100% of its managed woodlands to sustainable forest management standards. AbitibiBowater's shares trade under the stock symbol ABH on both the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange.